Friday, May 20, 2011

The Meet Cute

Alternatively: The Ways in Which Meeting My Bug Displays My Social Awkwardness.

My college had a very small gay community. The gay kids all know each other - or at least the cool ones do. My friend J was one such cool kid. She knew all the other gays, and was so fabulous she actually chose her friends from among them, instead of just seeing which ones stuck. She and future Bug became friends, bonded through their mutual love of cigarettes (is this a universal lesbian thing? All the ladies I went to college with smoked).

J and I became very close friends. I spent half of my freshman year pretending I had a very serious future with a girl who was at best mildly interested in me, and the other half of the year up to my neck in a family crisis that led me to apply to transfer to a school much closer to home. I ran into Bug a few times, at slightly larger gatherings (don't think this meant I was cool enough to attend legitimate parties - "slightly larger" was a four person game of Scrabble). I started hoping she'd show up at every small gathering, and developed a subtle but persistent crush.

After all, what's not to love about this:


So my freshman year came and went.  I was the last of my friends to move back into the dorm Sophomore year. So J offered to come help me haul my stuff into my new room. When the car stopped outside the dorm, I saw Bug standing at the side of the road with J. My heart skipped a beat, and I realized I REALLY liked her.

So I told J. Who sneakily told Bug. And then told me that Bug knew, so that I could proceed to ...do nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment